American Express/ PO Box 31511/ Salt Lake City, UT 84131-9934
Postcard for Tattooed Mom’s in Philadelphia
went up to Philadelphia this weekend for another Smithie-reunion. this was with a different group from my usual, but one of my favorites. i stayed with GS in her beautiful colonial house in the suburbs, just 20min. outside the city. her mother said i could stay with them, if i ever moved back into the city. i had a particularly difficult week in DC, and was so tempted to give up and move into their cozy home. as soon as the bus landed in philadelphia, it felt friendlier. i know that i can’t expect to have DC to be home right away, but i guess i was hoping for an easier transition into this new city, and new life.
anyways, a rundown of the weekend with RB, GS, and AHH ” smithies-in-philly-style”:
- Tattooed Mom’s – favorite new bar on south street. dum-dums on the table, solid drink specials, pierogies, and funly decorated. bartender was an ass, though.
- The Expressive Hand – paint your own pottery. i have an adorable hippo and a small transformer robot being fired in the kiln as i write this.
- Shooting Range – yeah, we went from painting our own pottery to giggling while we attempt to shoot the male target in the balls. oh smith lesbians, how i love thee. never shot a gun before, definitely need more practice, but i think i like it….
- Tamarind Thai Restaurant – vegetable green curry on rice, yum.
- every sex shop on South Street: condom kingdom, the mood, erogenous zone. slutty halloween costumes everywhere.
- Woody’s – right across from my favorite martini bar, Bump. strong drinks, euro techno neon 80s videos everywhere, and men with 8-packs swinging from side to side in brightly colored spandex boyshorts.
this was just what i needed to rejuvenate my spirit and make me trust in humanity again. seriously. while it is tempting to just pack up and move into philadelphia already, the city gave me a good enough break to give this city of DC an honest chance. i’m going to help paint a community mural, sign up for capoeira classes, and start riding a bike around. i’m going to learn to like this place! at least for the remainder of my lease. and then maybe move back to philadelphia.